My very first spiritual advisor and long-time tarot reading goddess Theresa Reed returns for this second season of The Brave Bear Show.
I met Theresa during the economic crisis of 2008 at one of my lowest points in life. I had just quit a corporate sales job, got a mysterious illness that put me in the hospital for 7 days while underinsured, and was recovering from being an invalid for nearly a month.
Going into our session, I had no expectations. I was frail and desperate for any positive message to just get me through the day. All I knew was I had to start over. I had to get my life, career and self-esteem back. Because if I didn’t, I may never recover from this pitfall. So I opened myself up to receiving whatever message Theresa would share with me. I had no idea, at the time, how powerful that 30-minute tarot session with Theresa would be.
Now, 12 years later, I still get annual birthday readings with Theresa. And, now at the crossroads again with another economic crisis and global pandemic, I’m equipped with tools to navigate the bumpy road ahead. I hope this episode can provide some healing words, insights and tools to help you do the same wherever you are on your journey.
(If you missed Theresa on Season 1 of The Brave Bear Show, you can replay it here.)
Listen on Apple Podcasts (coming soon)
“The individuality thing has always been important to me. I’ve always wanted to be my own person from the jump.” – Theresa Reed
“When I was going through my teenage years, I never wanted to conform. I never wanted to be like anyone else. I hated it when my little sister would copy me. To me, that was like the worst thing ever. I always just wanted to be me.” – Theresa Reed
“I loved that nobody listened to the music I listened to. I loved that nobody looked like me. Nobody dressed like me. I had my own ideas about how things were going to be from a very young age and it all started when I was two.” – Theresa Reed
“Do you is what I always say, even with my children. The way I raised them–just be you. Don’t be a carbon copy of me, be you.” – Theresa Reed
“When you are operating as you–whether in life, in relationships, or in your business–that is going to be so honest. And there’s nothing better than honesty. Why put on a facade?” – Theresa Reed
“Honesty is not fear. Honesty is brave.” – Theresa Reed
“Many people live in fear; that is our constant state of being. And it doesn’t need to be that way.” – Theresa Reed
“I use my work to encourage people because I believe that no matter where you are in your life, no matter what’s happened, you can show up as the very best version of you. You can be what I call ‘prepared, not scared.” – Theresa Reed
“I’m intuitive, but I’m a strategist. If there’s a problem, we’re going to solve that problem. We’re going to get to the bottom of this. We’re going to find a way around it. That is always my mode of operation.” – Theresa Reed
“When you don’t love yourself, when you’re not feeling confident with who you are, it becomes very tempting then to look at what someone else is doing.” – Theresa Reed
“Learning to stand up and speak your truth even if you’re going to come off like you’re the troublemaker, that requires a lot of courage and a lot of willingness to assert your boundaries.” – Theresa Reed
“I was told that the most I could aspire to be was a secretary. That was what we were taught back then. And learning to stand up and say, ‘Well, no, I’m not a secretary. I’m CEO material.’ That requires a very different mindset.” – Theresa Reed
“I think parents have to be really, really mindful that they don’t let their fears get in the way of a child’s intuitive intelligence because kids are psychic as hell. They know what’s up. They know when something’s not right.” – Theresa Reed
“I think every parent, if you’ve got a child–I don’t care if your child is five or 35–when they’re getting a gut feeling about something, get your fear out of it and just say, ‘Okay, why are you feeling this and how can I support you?” – Theresa Reed
“You have got to honor your children’s instincts. Kids are smarter than we give them credit for.” – Theresa Reed
“Everything is a sign. Your words are a spell. And energy is energy.” – Theresa Reed
When people are first learning tarot, they look at the images and get really stuck in analytical mode, which is not intuitive. You can get stuck there so hard and that’s how we get stuck in life, too. We’re looking at everything carefully instead of just feeling it. This “Tarotcise: No Peeking” lesson is simple and will help you become more intuitive.
Morning Tarot Exercise:
- Take your tarot card deck and shuffle the cards.
- When you feel they’re ready, cut the deck into three piles.
- Put three piles back together as one deck.
- Take the top card off the deck, but don’t look at the face (the visual).
- Sit with your journal and write down what you’re feeling about that card.
End of the day Tarot Exercise:
- Come back to your deck and turn the front of the card over (look at the visual).
- Revisit your journal entry for validation or confirmation.
- Ask yourself, How did the card show up in my day? How was my intuition working for me all along?
Tips for reading the card without seeing the visual:
- Think about what guidance is needed at the moment.
- Ask yourself, What am I feeling with this particular card?
- You have to embody the card, you’ve got to feel the card.
- Not looking at the image in the morning, and then checking the visual later at the end of the day helps you to become more intuitive.
More tips for intuitive development:
- Get a good teacher: work with someone who has experience in that area of interest
- Take a class: whether you are new or seasoned, taking classes can help to accelerate your learning and gain another perspective
- Keep a journal: when you are getting an intuitive hit about something or dream about something, write it down. No matter how significant or random it seems, write it down.
- Recommended beginner tarot decks: The Rider-Waite-Smith Tarot Deck, The Modern Witch Tarot Deck (do an internet search and you’ll find many vendors to buy from)
THERESA’S MENTIONED BOOKS:
RELEASES ON SEPT. 1, 2020!
- Tarot: No Questions Asked – Mastering the Art of Intuitive Reading: Thetarotlady.com/tarot-no-questions-asked/
- Tarot for Troubled Times (co-authored with Shaheen Miro): Thetarotlady.com/tarot-troubled-times/
- Astrology for Real Life: Thetarotlady.com/astrology-real-life-2/
- The Tarot Coloring Book: Thetarotlady.com/tarot-coloring-book/
- The Uncommon Tarot (co-authored with Shaheen Miro): Thetarotlady.com/the-uncommon-tarot/
THERESA’S MENTIONED SERVICES:
Her tips, advice, and upcoming classes and workshops on tarot and astrology can be found on her website and blog at TheTarotLady.com.
Theresa has created a gathering space for tarot + astrology lovers + students over at Patreon: Patreon.com/thetarotlady
Theresa’s favorite place to hang out online is Twitter: Twitter.com/thetarotlady
You can also find her on Facebook: Facebook.com/thetarotlady
Look for “The Tarot Lady” on your favorite social networking platform, chances are you’ll find her there!